Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Brandon Spikes' Eye Gouging: A Half Game is Not Enough


I was literally stunned when I saw Florida Linebacker Brandon Spikes attempting to gouge the eyes of Georgia runningback Washaun Ealy in the Gators win over the Bulldogs on Saturday. I don't know Spikes personally, but from interviewing him and hearing all the positive comments he receives from his coaches and teammates, seeing the video of him sticking his fingers into the helmet of Ealy was very disturbing. Although I feel a half game suspension is not enough, I'm not going to go as far to say that he should be suspended for more than one game. I think a one game suspension would have sufficed considering what he did, his apology, and the fact that Ealy himself said he doesn't think Spikes should have been suspended at all. The Florida program actually handed down the half suspension and the Southeastern conference agreed with the decision.

I've heard and seen a lot from the media about Spikes' suspension being too light considering Oregon running back LaGarrett Blount's season long suspension for sucker punching a Boise State Defensive end after the Ducks' lost early this season. I think the two situations differ and shouldn't be compared because one incident occurred during the game where the emotion was high and the other occurred after the game where tensions were also high but there was also premeditation on the part of Blount. Quite honestly, I think Blount's suspension was too harsh anyway but it was the Oregon program which handed down the ruling.

In no way am I defending Spikes. In fact he could have caused serious damage had he actually punctured the eyes of Ealy. But I can't be sure his actions were premeditated which is a very important argument when evaluating this situation. Also, I don't agree with the comments about there being a double standard just because Florida is the number one team in the nation. Who cares? If the NCAA felt the suspension was too light, they could have stretched it out to a full game or more but they didn't. So all the whining about there being a double standard is absurd. The fact of the matter is, Spikes apologized, Ealy is fine, and a ruling was handed down which was fine with the SEC. So my final word is Spikes learned from this situation, it'll probably never happen again, and all the innuendo about the suspension being unfair should end.

No comments:

Post a Comment